Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Sign Of The Four!

So, did I miss anything while I was gone?

You mean after 3 years of relentless agitation which bore no fruit, I take one weekend off, and that's when Marvel decides the Fantastic Four Fatwa is over?

Maybe if I take next weekend off, DC will bring back the Legion? Nah, they seem content letting Geoff Johns give us one panel per year of Saturn Girl in Arkham--seriously, it's been two years now since Rebirth #1, guys. It's gone from teaser to never-resolved cliche.

Anyway, as you can guess, I'm ecstatic. The Fantastic Four was what brought me into comics on a full-time basis. They're the First Family of the Marvel Universe, and things just haven't been the same without them.

Personally, I would have given the book to Chip Zdarsky, who is knocking it out of the park on Marvel Two-In-One. But Dan Slott is a good choice. Sure, he overstayed his welcome--and at the end was really spinning his wheels--on Amazing Spider-Man; but overall he did a fine job of stabilizing that franchise after a bit of corporate malfeasance, so he's well-suited to do the same with the Fantastic Four. Plus Slott wrote the late, lamented but wonderful Thing series back in 2006 (that long ago? Really?), and had some great interaction between Spidey & the FF in Amazing.

I'm not terribly familiar with Sara Pichelli's work, but from what I've seen, she'll be fine.

In celebration, allow me to present Johnny Storm singing his R&B hit, "Flame On!" No, I'm not making that up.


August can't come fast enough...

2 comments:

Prof. Chronotis said...

Hear, hear! Like you, my first comic-book love was the FF and their absence has seemed to me bizarre and pointless. We'll hang in there until August. Meanwhile, thanks for the Sherlockian connection in this blog post. :)

Green Luthor said...

Dear God, that song was even worse than I remembered. And I remembered it being terrible. (A partial list of things that are awful in the universe: Brian Austin Green. Casting Brian Austin Green as the Human Torch. Brian Austin Green trying to launch a career as a rap/R&B singer. Allowing Brian Austin Green to use his role as the Human Torch to promote his attempt at being a rap/R&B singer. Pretty much everything else about the first season of the Marvel Inaction Hour Fantastic Four cartoon. The first season of the Iron Man part of the Marvel Inaction Hour as well.) (Seriously, those two shows were just so, so bad.)