Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Holiest Of Holy Grails

I have a new goal in life.

The most recent issue of Mental Floss magazine reprinted excepts from an 2011 interview on the JeffRubinJeffRubin show. Jeff Rubin interviewed Kingston University's Will Brooker, who earned his PhD with a thesis on Batman.

It's a fun interview, you can listen to the whole thing here, you can buy the published version of the thesis here, but here's the important part, about the holiest of Holy Grails:



Brooker also mentions in the full interview that the library also had all of the newest issues that hadn't been published yet.

I want to be in that room.

I must be in that room.

How to get in that room? Do they do a credential check? I mean, of course, Chris Sims can just walk in--he's the internet's preeminent Batmanologist. But what about me? If I call up and claim to be doing a thesis on, say, Space Cabby--do I get in? Do I need to have someone available to take a phone call and pretend to be a university official to "confirm" my "legitimacy"?

Or maybe I have to put together a gang and Ocean's 11 my way in. Who's with me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in. When we doing this thing?

SallyP said...

Seriously? I wonder if it has a moat, and piranhas, and lasers in the walls...and stuff!

Anonymous said...

Count me in! I'll bring the wax lips and the yo-yo, but you'll have to get the rubber chickens yourself.

cybrid said...

"If I call up and claim to be doing a thesis on, say, Space Cabby--do I get in?"

If you call up and mention Space Cabby, no one will know what you're talking about.