Monday, April 20, 2015

Manic Monday Bonus--Archie's Doubtful Future!

In the late 80s, Archie Comics frequently had little banner ads across the bottoms of some of the pages of their comics, not unlike what Marvel did 15 years earlier. Oh, Archie, how like you to be 15 years behind a trend!

Anyhoo, the first issue of Archie 3000 (1989), saw this at the end of the first tale:

Ooh, 3 strikes!!

B. Dalton and Waldenbooks have been gone for awhile, and maybe it's just my experience, but I haven't seen anything but the occasional Disney digest at a supermarket check-out in many a year.

Geez, with foresight that bad, it's almost enough to make you doubt the veracity of their projections for Riverdale in the year 3000 [SPOILER ALERT: Flying cars! Food synthesizers! The guys had long hair!!] After all, if they couldn't predict a trend 20 years out, I have doubts they could do it 1000 years out!

2 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

When I was a kid (way back during the Roman Empire), the only place I could buy comics was at the supermarket. Was so frustrated whenever the supermarket didn't stock all of the issues with ongoing stories!

Erich said...

I saw some Archie digests at the check-out when I was grocery shopping at Publix last week...