Thursday, October 24, 2013

Be Careful Of What You Wish For

To those who have complaints about Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., please remember to be careful of what you wish for. Because you could have gotten this:

*shudder*

Oh, 1990s, you have so much to answer for..

I mean, even the corner character highlight box is a crime against art:

"But there aren't enough super-heroes," they whine.

Look, S.H.I.E.L.D. has never been about super-heroes. The whole idea behind S.H.I.E.L.D. was, to quote Stan, "to out-U.N.C.L.E. U.N.C.L.E."

But hey, you want super-heroes? Again, be careful of what you wish for:

I think I'll dress up as the 1990s for Halloween--that'll be the scariest thing I can imagine...

4 comments:

Siskoid said...

First scary thing I've seen all month. About time.

SallyP said...

The thing from the '90's that used to completely chill my bones, was that weird line of spittle, when their mouths were open and they were screaming...which was all the time.

eeeuuwww.

Jason Glor said...

Look at those arms on the last cover. I just... wow.

Swellsman said...

Yeah . . .

Comics fan from way back when; actually, my grandfather owned a bookstore and, when I was a kid (early 70's), gave me a trade paperback that collected some of Marvel's most cherished heroes' origins. I made my grandmother read that thing to me so much that she finally taught me to read myself, out of sheer self-defense.

Later (the 80's), I worked in my grandfather's bookstore and was responsible for creating his comic book buy/sell/trade section. Then I went off to school and stopped paying attention.

My uncle has saved TONS of comics from the old bookstore, all of them from the 90's. I have, from time to time, perused them.

As you say . . . the 1990's have a LOT to answer for. As a fan of good storytelling and great art . . . what a terrible decade that was!