Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Night Fights--Say It With Flowers Style!!

I'd best warn you up front--this edition of Friday Night Fights is using a LOT of exclamation points, so if you're weak of heart, you might want to avoid this.

Popeye is the world heavyweight boxing champion (really!!)!! But, because Olive is way into Women's Lib (yes!!), and because Howard Cosell was rude to her in an interview (yes, Howard Cosell!!), she's challenges Popeye to defend his title belt--against her!!!!!

Boxing? Women's Lib? Howard Cosell? This must be 1973...

Anyway, Popeye has one big problem going into this fight:


So, as you can imagine, the fight doesn't go too well for the Sailor Man...







Popeye is saved by the bell!! But can he survive another round??

Well, Swee'Pea has an idea...








Hmmm...any comment I make here is going to get me into trouble, so I'd best remain silent.

And speaking of boxing and Howard Cosell and 1973...



Spacebooger
is not impressed that I tried to unduly influence his vote with classic boxing footage...

Sadly, no credits are available for Charlton's Popeye #120 (1973).

So now is the time for you to go and vote for my fight this week. Why mine? Because mine was the only fight that was won with love...so go vote!!

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I...I...I am a loss for words.