Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Night Fights--Scientist Supreme Style!!

This current bout of Friday Night Fights is Minimum Clonage--we can't re-use any fighters during these twelve rounds. So let's check my list so far:

Spider-Man
Judomaster
Marl Kincaid
T.H.E. Cat
Namor
Mr. Kotter
John Carter Of Mars
Steed and Mrs. Peel


You know who doesn't get enough respect? Ant-Man, that's who. I mean, aside from this:



...even most comic fans are too caught up in Hank Pym's various mental instabilities to really pay attention to how tough Ant-Man was.

Need I remind you that, in Avengers #1 (1963), it was Ant-Man who defeated Loki??

Hmm, I still sense no respect coming from you guys. So we'd best show what happens when you piss Ant-Man off.

Ultron has erased most of Hank Pym's memories (see what I mean about mental instability??), so he doesn't recognize any of the Avengers. And he's feeling a little feisty:

Bam!! Iron Man down!

Bif!! Captain America--out of action!!

Swarm!! Scarlet Witch--helpless!!

Whack!! Overconfident Wonder Man whooped!

And even though the Vision is radder than you think, he's helpless against Ant-man's onslaught!

And Beast and Black Panther? Taken down in one blow!!

Folks, that's the modern Avengers (pre-Bendis), all laid out by Ant-Man in about 10 seconds. Now, granted, they were taken by surprise, and the fact that Hank Pym was their friend (and not yet a wife beater) doubtless had them pulling their punches a bit. Still, you have to admit, that was an ass-kicking even Spacebooger could appreciate.

Jim Shooter, George Perez and Pablo Marcos bring us power in a pint-sized package courtesy of Avengers #161 (1977).

Now vote for this fight, or Dan Slott will be forced to go even more over the top with his redonkulous "Eternity says Hank Pym is the Scientist Supreme" silliness....and nobody wants that (sorry, Dan).

2 comments:

Lazarus Lupin said...

shrinking is generally right down there with "Talking with fish" in the super power rankings as far as most fans are concerned. I think this partially led to the insecurity that was a factor in many of Hank's mental woes. I mean it's obvious, first he shrinks but gets no respect so what does he do? Become GIANT man, in real life no doubt he'd buy a hummer.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/

Jon H said...

Ah, I had that issue when I was, what, 6? I could remember being a fan of Ant-Man when I was little. I think that issue must have been why! (Also probably because I was the youngest and smallest of my friends and siblings.)