Monday, October 5, 2009

Manic Monday--Top-Heavy?

While watching last week's episode of Fringe, I found myself somewhat bemused by the opening credits. Here, verbatim, was what was appearing on-screen over the opening scenes:

Co-Producer
Tamara Isaac


Co-Producer

Tanya Swerling


Producers

Zack Stentz

Ashley Edward Miller


Producer

Kathy Lingg


Producer

Robert M. Williams, Jr.


Supervising Producer

Josh Singer


Supervising Producer

Jeff Vlaming


Supervising Producer

Reid Shane


Consulting Producer

Akiva Goldsman


Consulting Producers

Alex Kurtzman

Roberto Orci


Co-Executive Producer

David Wilcox


Co-Executive Producer

Joe Chappelle


Executive Producer

Bryan Burk


Executive Producer

J.H. Wyman


Executive Producer

Jeff Pinkner


Executive Producer

J.J. Abrams


Yup. Eighteen producers. 18.

Now, I know it's longtime Hollywood practice to toss around producer credits like Halloween candy, as a way to keep the minions happy. And it's not like I've done any kind of comparison with other shows. Still, 18? That's got to be some kind of record, right?

Just think--this one episode of Fringe had 16 more producers than Citizen Kane or Casablanca or The Godfather--heck, it has 12 more producers than those three classics combined!!!!

Fringe is certainly one of the most-produced shows on television. Hell, this episode had the living hell produced out of it!! When they give out the Emmy next year for "Most-Produced Show," they're a shoo-in!!

There's many a series where I'm watching an episode, and I turned to my friends and say, "Man, this show needed more Co-Executive producing!!" That will never happen with Fringe!!

And hasn't that always been one of the surest signs of quality--having more producers than cast members?? Hey, maybe that's it--each actor has their own personal producer!!

And all these producers have been eminently successful at keeping the show from being an X-Files wannabe. Hell, this season they've already given us shape-shifting alien assassins, our heroine kidnapped and returned sans memory, underground dwelling hybrid freaks who eat people--none of which is even vaguely reminiscent of the X-Files!!!

Still, one can't help but wonder what would happen if they had just a couple of fewer producers, and spent some of that money on, oh, I don't know...writers, maybe???

Nahhhh.....

Just in case you need convincing, here's the "cast of thousands" line-up of producers from the episode in question...



9 comments:

Christian Zamora said...

Hmmmmm-- Fringe--
This is my favorite TV show yet to see.
I'm doing small marathons on Supernatural and this one will be next once I'm finished :)

Captain Infinity said...

I think they need to add a Producing Producer to the show.

Anthony White Co-executive producer of Slay Monstrobot of the Deep said...

I don't have a problem with it :)

snell said...

Anthony--you mean to imply my blog is actually produced? Best compliment I've ever gotten.

Chris--don't let my snarkitude scare you a way...it's not a bad show, quite entertaining at times. I am frustrated that it's not better, especially with 18 highly paid executives to oversee things.

Nimbus said...

Well, as Wikipedia points out, "nowadays a producer is almost synonymous with a writer". I suspect many of them had some input into the writing process and very few had traditional producing roles.

snell said...

Nimbus--perhaps true, but 18 is still pretty excessive...by contrast, last week's Dollhouse had 7 producers listed.

And if they really had that many writers, well, you'd think they would have better writing...

Nimbus said...

Oh, I agree that 18 is excessive! I think the old saying "Too many cooks...(etc etc)" might apply though. More "writers" on an episode doesn't mean it'll be better.

BTW, I've never seen Fringe and so I can't really comment on how much value these 18 producers bring to the show.

Anonymous said...

The Simpsons did it first. I've never counted, but there are a buttload of producers in the opening credits.

snell said...

Good call on the Simpsons, as the latest new episode listed 30 (yes, 30) producers. That's more than one producer per minute of air time...

Maybe it's a Fox thing.

Still, I'm more inclined to forgive the Simpsons, because they're still producing at a higher quality than Fringe...