Sunday, September 4, 2011

Uncomfortable Cheesecake

[Editor's note: this post will present one of the more disturbing images ever. Read at your own risk]

Imagine, if you will, a cross between Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Captain Planet's Planeteers...well, wait, you don't have to imagine that:

I mentioned the Turtles quite deliberately, as the Conservation Corps debuted in one of Archie Comics TMNT specials.

And as for the Planeteers reference? Well, each of our cartoon animals has dominion over Earth's elements (loosely defined):

Oh, to heck with the dry text. Let's meet 'em!!

There's South America's Firefly--Commander of Fire & Heat!!

Meet England's Stone Hedgehog--Ruler of Rock & Stone!!

North America's Water Buffalo--Mater of the Waters, and Africa's Greenhorn--Lord of Flora & Vegetation!!

And finally, the sole female member of the Corps: from the waters of the Pacific, Skyshark, Mistress of the Sky, Air and Weather!!

Uhhhh....ummmm...is she naked?

I mean, the other animals all have clothing and costumes, and as far as I can tell, she's just wearing a belt...I mean....ummm....

OK, OK, put such thoughts out of my vile head. This is a kiddie comic. Look, it even has a page for the tykes to send in their crude but lovable drawings of the Corps!

But on the opposite page, right across from the kiddie art, there's this pin-up (click to embiggen to full uncomfortableness):

Uh...I mean...but, but...ummm....I know I'm a mammal, and...errr....well, if she's a shark, why does she have...uuuuhhhhhh...I thought this was a children's comic, and...hhrrmmm....

Well, that is just all kinds of disturbing, isn't it?

From Conservation Corps #3 (1993)

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Gah!

Martin Gray said...

Blimey! Todd Klein would have conniptions were he to see that awful Fantastic Four rip-off logo.

Wouldn't the water buffalo be a female, as the 'mater of the water'?

Unknown said...

Hmm... Not sure if the tone of your original post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek or candid, but either way, I'd say "Uncomfortable Cheesecake" is a good descriptor. I bought this issue way back when it came out, mainly because I had enjoyed the previous issue. I was at the impressionable age of 14 at time. When I saw the pinup image in question, I admittedly experienced a strange blend of liking and disliking it. I felt that it was awfully risque to be featured in a comic book aimed at kids, but at the same time, I found it quite beautiful, like combining a cartoon animal with classical depictions of mermaids. And if a fish with breasts bothers you, be sure to avoid any images of Princess Ruto (Legend of Zelda OoC and more recently in Hyrule Warriors), or any female fish-based anthropomorphic character. ;-)