Saturday, August 29, 2009

Maybe It's The Umlaut...

I know that I mocked the overlong, unwieldy title of Jericho Drumm's new ongoing, Doctor Voodoo: Avenger Of The Supernatural.

Why, then, do I think this is such a cool title?

Maybe it's because Amadeus Wölf is also the name of an Irish race horse, which is just cool.

Maybe it's because "stalker of the supernatural" has pleasing alliteration, whereas "avenger of the supernatural" just sounds grating, a blatant attempt by Marvel to put the new Sorcerer Supreme firmly into the ever-expanding Avengers camp.

Maybe it's because I'm just more lenient on 40 year-old British comics. Especially since, in his original appearances, Amadeus Wölf's name was--and I'm not making this up--Cursitor Doom. Which in and of itself is pretty cool. (His name was changed for the American Quality reprints...why? Who knows??)

Perhaps it's because I'm just an inconsistent idiot.

Or maybe it really is because of the umlaut...

Go on, rock me, Amadeus Wölf!!


No comments: