Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Why They Don't let Me Write DC Comics

So I'm reading a reprint of Detective Comics #66, the first appearance of Two-Face. So what do I find?

Yo Apollo,  need you to help me fight Clubber Lang...Picture a spit take here...Harvey KENT?? KENT!?! What, DC somehow botches a reprint of one of their classic stories?

Nope. For his first couple of appearances, Two-Face was actually named Harvey Kent...Wikipedia says his name was later changed "to prevent confusion with Clark Kent."

Well, I'll be damned. I didn't know that, and I'm supposed to know shit like that. And it's no big deal. Harvey Dent is a better name for Two-Face, regardless of potential Clark confusion. Let's just call it another Robert Bruce Banner thing.

But what if...what if his name really was Harvey Kent? What if he changed it soon after he arrived in Gotham? What if he was a relative of the Kents? A long-lost relative, a cousin or nephew? Or...

...what if Harvey Kent is Jonathan Kent's son from a previous marriage that he had told nobody about? Harvey Kent, embittered and unbalanced by this abandonment, changes his name and becomes Gotham City's District Attorney, but is primed for lunacy when that beaker of acid hits his face. OMG...what if Two-Face is Superman's step-half-brother!?!?!?!?!?!

Someone get me DiDio...I got a story to pitch!!!

2 comments:

Khairul H. said...

Sounds better than the recent Resurrection Ras Al Ghul storyline. I'd buy the trade, fer sure.

Steve Flanagan said...

I seem to recall that DC decided that "Harvey Kent" was the name of the Earth-2 Two-Face (back in the days of the old Earth-2). I can't remember if he ever turned up in the old Mr and Mrs Superman series, though.