Monday, October 13, 2008

Manic Monday--How To Lose Friends And Family

I've seen many an odd sales scheme advertised in old comic books: Grit, seeds, greeting cards, Nigerian lottery (oops, wait, that wasn't comic books). But I'd never seen this one before:

This looks much more labor intensive than GritClick on it for a larger version. Yes, Mason Shoes (from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin!!) expected kids to go out and schlep their shoes for them. On Saturday mornings, no less!!

And here's a great way to ensure a lot of hastily-pulled-closed curtains and "gee, I guess nobody's home" results:

Dammit, it's Jimmy and those damn shoes again. Pretend we're not home!!That's right, harass your friends and neighbors on their days off, by trying to sell them footwear.

But man, I could really use that extra $20 a week...

Ad culled from The Avengers #16 (1965). No New, no Mighty, no Dark, no West Coast...just THE Avengers, dammit. The Old Order Changeth, my friends...

1 comment:

Rob Rogers said...

That reminds me of Mon-El's secret identity in the 20th century: Bob Cobb, traveling brush salesman.