Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Diplomacy, S.P.I.D.E.R. Style!!

Back in the 1960s, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. (The Higher United Nations Defense Enforcement Reserves) spent a lot of time fighting the villainy of S.P.I.D.E.R.

And what did S.P.I.D.E.R. stand for?

By Odin's beard, I love what James Bond did to 1960s culture!!

Anyway, aside from amassing "extra-legal revenue," S.P.I.D.E.R. had other ways of gaining power:

Yes, S.P.I.D.E.R. surreptitiously took over the small European nation of Ibernia.

And how did we find out about it?

S.P.I.D.E.R. sent a note to the UN Security Council?!?!

Well, of course. It's only proper etiquette to conduct diplomacy via short, polite notes (especially when you have stationary that bitching).

In fact, many international crises have started with polite notes:

In fact, the biggest fracas ever in UN history started with a courteous correspondence:

From Dynamo #2 (1966)

No comments: