Sunday, December 27, 2009

Prophecy Fulfilled, Sadly

Well, I've been predicting this for a year and a half now, haven't I? I predicted that the return of Barry Allen would lead to Wally West being shuffled to the sidelines, losing his title, his JLA spot.

No, no, we were told. All is good. Wally will be active in the Titans, said Dan DiDio. Wally will have a back-up series in the new Barry Allen Flash mag!! Bart will have his own Kid Flash mag!! It's a golden age for all things Flash!!

Hey, some people actually believed him.

Surprise, suckers. In a video interview, released during Christmas week so many would be sure not to see it, guess what DiDio revealed? That Wally back-up series? Now on the back burner. That Kid Flash series? Not gonna happen. And after promising (several times) that Wally wouldn't be ignored or put on the bench? "Your Flash fix will be Barry Allen, pure and simple, for 2010."

So, checking off: "Part of the Titans team for the foreseeable future" (quote from DiDio)? Nah, they're being replaced by an all-new Titans team led by Deathstroke. Lost his JLA spot? Yup, which is pretty ironic, since most of other the Titans are now gonna be in the JLA. Lost his book? Yeah, not even deemed worthy of back-up stories. New costume? Yeah, they just did that in Flash Returns, and I wouldn't bet against another.

I'm sure we can look forward to seeing cameo appearances by Wally in the next DC Halloween and Christmas specials...or maybe he can join The Forgotten Heroes...

Oh, and Kendra Saunders, Michael Holt, Rick Tyler, Jakeem Thunder, et al.? Now that Blackest Night is leaving open the status of your predecessors, you might want to start packing. Because while DC claims to love their "generational heroes," they'd don't love actually having them around, do they? You guys are all on the clock...

2 comments:

ShadowWing Tronix said...

I've held on to the DCU a lot longer than MarvelU because I'm a DC fanboy. However, I'm getting to the point where the DCU proper is going to be as dead to me as the Marvel Universe proper. I'm not even collecting any mainstream DC titles, and the last Christmas...sorry, "holiday"...Special was either boring or touched with waisted potential.

ShadowWing Tronix said...

Also, your missing the video link (instead it's the same article from the first link). I'd put it up here in the comment, but for some reason "paste" won't work in the comment window. (I've tried both browsers.) So I put it in my name for this post.