Thursday, January 6, 2011

Comics I Wish I Had--Wonder Woman #203

Some covers are so compelling, you just have to have them:

Why do I want this comic so badly?

A) It's part of Wonder Woman's "Emma Peel" period, of which I've read frighteningly little. (Yes, I know it's all available in trade. What, you think I'm made of money?) Not only that, it's the very last issue of Diana Prince: Wonder Woman. In the very next issue, it's back to stars and stripes and wonder bras...

B) This issue is written by Samuel R. Delany. Yes, THAT Samuel R. Delany. Is your mind blown yet??

C) The title of the issue is "The Grandee Caper," and the cover blurb promises "a NEW kind of villain." GCD notes that, according to the issue's artist Dick Giordano, Mr. Grandee was "visually based on Carmine Infantino." Hee hee.

And, most importantly, D)Now, you'd think that every issue of Wonder Woman would be a "Women's Lib Issue." But this is 1972, the Equal Rights Amendment and "women's lib" is on everybody's tongue, and you just know this story is going to be so monumentally ham-fistedly-topical-yet-not-in-any-way-seriously-challenging-the-status-quo that it would probably make my mind explode. But...it's written by Sam Delany, so...?

In short--A "special women's lib issue" of the Emma Peel era Wonder Women written by Nebula and Hugo winner Samuel R. Delany with Carmine Infantino as the villain.

Dammit, I'm going to have to break down and buy the trade, aren't I??

7 comments:

notintheface said...

Wasn't that the issue where they had Diana say she didn't like women?

Ann M. said...

Old WW issues are pretty inexpensive on ebay. In the meantime, you can see it here: http://slaymonstrobot.blogspot.com/2011/01/comics-i-wish-i-had-wonder-woman-203.html

I think the frame where Diana says she doesn't like women gets read out of context.

Ann M. said...

Oops, pasted the wrong link: http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2010/11/grooves-faves-grandee-caper-by-delaney.html

Joe S. Walker said...

The insides don't live up to the cover.

Anthony said...

I just found it in a house I purchased. It's in great condition with awesome color. If you want to purchase it let me know. Anthonyamoore@gmail.com

Anthony said...

I just found it in a house I purchased. It's in great condition with awesome color. If you want to purchase it let me know. Anthonyamoore@gmail.com

snell said...

Thanks, but I broke down and bought the trades, Anthony.