Thursday, January 1, 2009

Turning The Other Cheek

Well, after criticizing Ed Benes for focusing on the posteriors of females, I suppose fair is fair, and I should take a look at other prominent portrayers of asses.

Also, I'm aware that a certain segment of the fan population is...well...fascinated with portions of Hal Jordan's anatomy. So I might as well try to raise my readership amongst that demographic for 2009, right?

Legend has it that we saw lots, and lots, and lots of Hal's tushie in the olden days. So in the name of science, I grabbed a random Silver Age Green Lantern from my slush pile. Specifically, Green Lantern #56 (1967), by John Broome and Gil Kane. And let me just say...Ed Benes in his wildest dreams couldn't draw as many asses as Gil Kane. Here, presented mainly without comment, is every ass shot of a Green Lantern from that issue:







It's not just Hal Jordan, of course...this next section is for you Xudarian ladies out there...






Now back to Hal...








Now that's a lotta ass!!

For the sake of completeness, I should note that there were a few questionable shots, where coloring or contorted anatomy or poor printing left in unclear whether it was Hal's ass we were seeing. I left those out, so the number could have been higher. Also, several non-GL asses were pictured, but I also left those out. So, believe it or not, there could have been a lot more cheek shown here.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

SallyP said...

It is a well-known fact, that becoming a Green Lantern actually REQUIRES a fabulous behind. The Earth-based Lanterns in particular are well-known for the sheer magnificence of their posteriors.

And at least, unlike Mr. Benes behinds, they aren't wearing thongs.

*shudder*

Christian Zamora said...

I knew Sally would be all over the place, lol!

Anonymous said...

"...let those who worship evil's might,

beware my ass, for it is tight!"


Hilarious piece, Snell (no pun intended)! I can just picture you poring over those panels searching for Hal ass shots. The things we do for these blogs, for cryin' out loud!

snell said...

I didn't have to search too hard, Mark...Gil Kane just let it all hang out, so to speak...

Sea-of-Green said...

Woo hoo! That's a thing of beauty right there! But, yes, Gil Kane pretty much set the standard when it came to GL backsides. Almost every GL artist, ever since, has been stuck with drawing GLs with magnificent backsides. Even Spider-Man never received this kind of artistic treatment -- even when Kane was drawing him!

Booksteve said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!