Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Secret Ending to "Batman R.I.P."--Revealed!!

OK, I don't really know (unlike Final Crisis--that one I know for sure). But it's got to involve something like this:

Apparently, lots of evil Batman have tried to kill Robin."Another bad Batman?!?!" Dick, is there something you're not telling us? Some "bad Batman" that had appeared before?!?

OK, I know I'm being silly. Robin's splash page thought bubble is, in the context of the story, simply a syntax error, because there is no other "bad Batman" in the story. The Boy Wonder meant "another Batman, and this one is bad."

Still, since large parts of "Batman R.I.P." are based on connecting silly, inconsequential 1950's stories to current continuity via LSD and mind control and god knows what, why not this story? Batman X--"another" bad Batman made of evil energy?! Geez Louise, what's not to love?!?

Plus, Dr. Double X, while lame, is much more interesting than the so-far-terribly-underwhelming Club of Villains.

Splash panel from Detective Comics #261 (1958) as reprinted in Batman Family #7 (1976).

No comments: