Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Identity Theft--The Early Years!

Sometime you look back at comic book ads of yore, and think, "What the hell were they thinking?" Case in point:


You know, I'm not quite sure why anyone would ever need an "engraved metal Social Security plate." You've got your paper card, and in 1977, it wasn't too hard to get a new one if you needed to.

In a 2012 perspective, of course, the thought of giving your name and Social Security number to some stranger going door-to-door, who would in turn send it to some nameless faceless company somewhere, is a non-starter. Too much chance of identity theft, or of fake IDs ending up in improper hands. Hell, it makes emails from exiled Nigerian diplomats look downright kosher!

Still ,there's an idiotic innocence about it all:

Zodiac Social Security plates?!? "Well, sir, I wasn't going to except this as a legitimate ID...but you've got your zodiac sign on it, and that pretty conclusively proves you are who you say you are!"

And before you write this off as a one-time, unique ad, you'd better realize that this was a highly demanded service. Because in the very same issue:

Hmmm...different address. But the product looks remarkably the same. So--same company using two mailing addresses? One company copying another? Legitimate fad, or one outfit taking multiple shots? Real business, or terrorist organization looking to swipe your identity to smuggle Batroc The Leaper into the USA?

From Betty And Veronica #255 (1977)

4 comments:

Captain Blog said...

You misunderstand this ad. You send for the kit and do it yourself. People give YOU the SS# and you would do it right in front of them and get paid immediately.
I know this because my mom had one made for me as a youngster.
Right in front of me.

snell said...

Good Lord. So your mom was an identity thief?

Captain Blog said...

Yes.
It's true.
She was me for about 3 years.
Messed me up real bad.
I still have the card and if you hold it you become me for the same period of time.
I go into limbo physically but can still see what happens.
Weird.

Stephen said...

I love reading this blog.