Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Licking Hitler

OK, I finally found the comic ad with an item I'm glad my parents didn't buy for me:

A set of Hitler stamps. Hmm.

Yes, doubtless I would be the first in my neighborhood with this set (unless my neighborhood was Argentina, East Germany, or Skinheadsville).

And if selling sets of Hitler stamps in comic books didn't prick these dudes' conscience, well, then they would certainly have no calms over trying to suggest that the stamps are (almost) free. The ad refers to the set as "YOURS almost as a GIFT," "almost as a GIFT," "practically as a gift." Yeah, it was only a quarter, but somehow that just makes the weasel words and font games even more annoying. I mean, it's only 25¢, which wasn't out of line for crap from comic ads in those days. So why the full court press to...ahem...imply that this was a free gift?

Anyway, Hitler stamps. I really have seen everything now.

Ad appeared in Justice Traps The Guilty #52 (1953)

No comments: