Monday, September 1, 2008

Manic Monday--Still More Crap My Parents Wouldn't Buy Me

From the back cover of Batman Family #7 (1976):

Shouldn't this have been on back of a Hulk comics?OK, OK, I was too old for it by then, but man...just look how cool it was!! And who could resist this slogan:

Hey, what about the ladies? They can ride, tooThat's a surprisingly small subset, you know...

Maybe I could hunt down the company and buy one today, just for old times' sake:

DAMN YOU, NITRO!!!!Nope, they were destroyed in the explosion that provoked the Civil War. Damn it!! If only the New Warriors had been registered!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

by the time either Big Wheels or The Green Machine appeared on the market I was too old and too big for either one.
I really missed out because the younger kids in my neighberhood had a lot of fun with these things.
I did become an expert with the Frisbee though.
Alan
jettblackberryx@yahoo.com

De said...

Sorry to break it to you Snell, but the Marx company went out of business toward the mid-1980s. Huffy owns the Green Machine now and it's not nearly as pretty.

Anonymous said...

I didn't have THIS, but I DID have some weird 6 wheeled arm-crank controlled moon-buggy tank thing as a kid (1970s).

It was low to the ground, and had independent hand cranks that you could go forward, back, turn or do 360's.

3 small black plastic "knobby" wheels on each side and a white "moon-buggy" frame.

Coolest thing ever.

We rode it WELL into the 1980's until the plastic tires eroded away.

If only I knew what it was CALLED, I'd pull up a pic to share.

Good times.

snell said...

De--sure, in our universe...but in Marvel 616, Marx was making these right up until nitro exploded...

clarkins said...

Never had one of those. Had a really cool pedal vehicle that looked like a chopper.
Friends dad backed over it so I punched my friend in the nose. (not bitter even 30 years later.)