Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Yojimbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been on the schedule for a couple of years now, and it's finally arrived:

The Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition from Fantagraphic Books.

Now, I'm a Johnny-come-very-lately to Usagi Yojimbo, mainly because I'm an idiot who dismissed what looked like a funny animal book buried deep in the alphabetical new releases at my local comics shoppe.

But a friend really talked it up (Hi, Robert!), and a found a trove in the quarter bin, and dammit, I'm hooked. So much for saving money by buying fewer books.

But as a (relatively) inexpensive way to catch up quickly, this new tome is one helluva great package.

It comes in a deluxe slipcase with two gorgeous hardbound volumes, with fabulous reprinting of the B & W art on high-quality glossy paper. It reprints basically everything from the original Fantagraphics run (38 issues), plus two of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossovers, plus an exquisite cover gallery, plus a long sketchbook and interview with genius Stan Sakai.

And yes, it contains the justly famous Sharktopus battle, with Usagi fighting a shark and an octopus simultaneously. Because that's how he rolls.

It's not a cheap volume...the cover price is $100...but you can get it on Amazon for just $63, which is even cheaper than you could buy the corresponding paperback trades for. It's a great idea for a Christmas present for a comics fan, or even a non-fan, because Sakai's work is extremely accessible and infectious. Or just treat yourself.

Hey...I didn't even mention Doctor Doom!!

3 comments:

Steve said...

You obviously like Stan Sakai's work, but judging by your labels it doesn't seem that you've ever posted about Groo the Wanderer, which he also worked on. Did you err?

snell said...

While I read much Groo as a youth, I haven't read any in years, and was unaware of Sakai's work on the title until you just mentioned it.Perhaps someday I shall unbury my Groos...

Steve said...

I loved Groo, I also haven't read any for years, but I do have fond memories. He's a much underlooked character on comic websites and blogs I think.