Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tales From The Quarter Bin--Микки Маус!!

I wasn't going to buy any Quarter Bin comics yesterday...


...but come on, guys--Russian Disney comics? How am I supposed to resist that?

Maybe it's just me, but this is really freaking me out. With many other foreign language comics, they at least use our alphabet, and I know barely enough of the romance languages to sort of kind of figure out what's going on.

But like the Greek reprints of The Mighty Oop, the different alphabet keeps causing fierce cognitive dissonance in my brain. Ouch!!

Our back covers featured promos for other Disney projects:


And we got to see the adventures of Mickey and Uncle Scrooge--in Russian!!

There were catalog inserts for other things to buy...

...things that I can't make heads or tails of...

A letters page!

The obligatory "activities" pages...


Fun fact: each issue had a one-page story printed in English (with helpful translations of American idioms in the margins):

Yeah, I could run all this stuff through Google Translate--but really, I'd rather gaze in awe and be mystified by the Cyrillic.

Russian comics, man...LONG LIVE THE QUARTER BIN!!

No comments: